Denton County 2019-20 Tax Rates, Budget Proposal
What you need to know:
- Proposed Denton County tax rate is: $0.225278. This is a slight drop from last year. For the average home value of $333,406 for a Denton County taxpayer, the county portion of their tax bill for the year will be $751.
- The total combined budget (excluding bond funds) is $321,536,026. This includes the Operating Expenditures at $235.2 million; Other Funds at $7.5 million; Permanent Improvement at $16.4 million; Debt Service at $62.5 million; Contingencies at $8.8 million and Reserves at $63 million. The General Fund alone accounts for the largest portion of the budget with $191,064,085 in operating expenditures for the coming year, which is basically level funding from the $190,733,590 budgeted in the prior year.
- Judicial salaries are increasing due to a new state law, including longevity pay (unfunded mandate from the state).
- The county is funding many new road projects in Precinct 1, which includes Frisco, in order to prepare for all of the new growth in the area. This includes a new road that will be the primary access point to the new PGA Headquarters development.
There are there is one more public hearing where citizens may speak on the recommended budget:
- Sept. 10, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. – Courthouse on the Square, 110 West Hickory, Denton, Texas
The County expects to adopt the budget at the September 17, 2019 Commissioners Court meeting.