Please see the information below from a local high school student interested in connecting students with internship or mentorship opportunities:
My name is Gautham , and I am a junior at Rock Hill High School.
Many students would love volunteer or work opportunities but are having trouble knowing where to look. Through my initiative, I hope to help small businesses, like yours, and students by connecting them so that each side can benefit through a mutual exchange. This would be a win-win for students and businesses as students could gain experience in the real world and companies could benefit from some extra help and younger perspectives that could advance ideas in the company.
My idea for the program is to utilize the mentor/internship database set up through the Chamber of Commerce and my role will be to reach out to high students to maintain a database of those interested.
- These opportunities could be virtual or in-person, and their duration could be any duration.
- Companies would indicate the positions they have open (internship) and/or identify whether a staff member is willing to mentor a student in a particular field.
- Because the Frisco Chamber of Commerce does not publish student information, students will fill out a Google form providing me with their information and what kind of opportunity they are seeking (either a mentorship or an internship), and what sector of business they want to pursue. I will work to find the best match for both the student and the business.
- Parents will be required to give permission to intern with a particular business or be mentored by an individual.
- Internships/Mentorships can online and in-person, depending on what the company and student are comfortable with.
- In order to monitor the success of the program and to see if a student and company are a good match, please fill out the mentorship form found here and/or the Internship form here.
As a student, I think this would be an excellent program for Frisco and surrounding area and fill a void created by the pandemic. In fact, it could be a model that other chambers of commerce to replicate. So it would be much appreciated if you could go to the links provided and indicate your willingness to work with students. Together we will create a better business world for our community!